Saturday, May 23, 2009

Review: North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Summary from Barnes and Noble:
As he continued to stare, I wanted to point to my cheek and remind him, But you were the one who wanted this, remember? You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face?
It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.
She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was pretty mature for a young adult book, and I think it's a great book for any girl (or woman) to read. I liked Terra and really enjoyed the relationships in the book, even though some were painful. Jacob was a great character and I thought their relationship was written really well. It seemed real. And even though the book is told from Terra's perspective, you still feel like you know the other characters and can feel what they are going through.

Can't say much else about it, except that I liked it more than I thought I would and definitely reccomend it!

Rated: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment