Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Review: Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Specials is the third book in the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I can't say much about it without giving anything away from the previous books...so don't read this if you haven't read them.

Tally's become a Special. She's seeing things very clearly now. She and Shay and the rest of the Cutters are working for Dr Cable and their main goal is to find the New Smoke. But David and the other New Smokies have been working hard to get people to join them. Tally is disgusted when she sees Zane and realizes he is just 'average' and not special like her. She helps him escape, and follows him to the New Smoke, with the intention of taking them down when she gets there. But her time in the wild changes her.

I was really sad about Zane, and wished for more of his relationship with Tally in the book. I thought the kissing scene when she was following the Crims was really good. I didn't feel as connected to Tally for a lot of this book, since she was so different. And Shay made me mad, but I was glad that she was 'despecialized' at the end, and back to...normal. I did like the ending and the fact that Tally and David are 'working' together again. I realized that the next book in the series doesn't have the same characters...it's just told several years after this book ends. So, I'm intersted to see what it's like. I'll pick it up when it comes out in paperback I think.

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I was totally bummed about Zane. I liked Tally better with him than with David. I felt like it was totally abrupt that the two of them go off together like Zane never existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a soft spot for David from the beginning...although I did end up liking Zane, I kind of resented him at first. I wish the 4th book was another about Tally, instead of a new character...

    ReplyDelete