Thursday, February 26, 2009

Review: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

I'd heard great things about young adult author Sarah Dessen, but this is the first book I've read by her. I really enjoyed it!

Here's the summary, from Barnes and Noble:

When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about? From acclaimed author Sarah Dessen, this is a captivating novel about a tough-as-nails girl and the unexpectedly charming boy who's determined to soften her up.

The characters were believable, the situations were real, and I just really liked the story. Dexter seemed very sweet, but he wasn't perfect either, which was nice.

**SPOILERS**
I wasn't sure if this story would end happily or not. I was happy with how it ended - not everything was perfect, but they were trying. I think it would have been disappointing if Remy hadn't ended up leaving for college. I like that she 'gave in' to love eventually, but didn't give up her life and her plans for it. I like that she was a strong young female character, but she wasn't perfect, and we knew that right away.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book, and will definitely be reading more by Sarah Dessen.

Rated: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I had to read this book for school and when i looked at the cover i thought it was going to be a really dumb, boring, girly, book. But the next thing you know i finish it in no more than 2 weeks. it was that awwwesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Sarah Dessen's book called, "This Lullaby". And after reading it, I would have to say this was an OK book. I had a hard time relating to what was going on, or connecting with the characters. I didn't understand why some of the events portrayed each other, and it was totally predictable! I have never ever read one of Sarah Dessen's books, and I could totally tell her writing style and what was going to happen.

    ReplyDelete