Friday, February 6, 2009

Young Adult Novels

Apparently I'm addicted to young adult books. I'm trying to read something else now, and having a hard time staying focused on it. I guess it could also be because I'm sick, but I think I've just gotten so used to other things, that I'm having a hard time with this one.

So, when exactly did I become hooked?

I read the Harry Potter books in 2007. Yes, I was a late-comer to these...I saw a lot of the movies first, and did read the first book awhile ago, but thought it was kind of juvenile. I eventually decided to read the rest (my husband persuaded me, he loved the books) and absolutely loved them! But it didn't really cross my mind to read any more books aimed towards young adults. One of the reasons I didn't want to read Twilight for so long was because I thought it would be too 'teen-ish' and I wasn't really interested. But, I obviously enjoyed that series when I read it in September (oh, and in November too). So, that was probably when it happened. I started looking at other popular young adult books online, reading some great reviews on blogs, and thinking that a lot of them sounded like really good stories...

My wish list grew, and I decided to try a few. I definitely got lucky with the first few that I read, because they were FANTASTIC! Wow. I had no idea there were all these great books out there - I'd never even looked in the teen section at the bookstore!

A lot of the stories aren't really things that I thought I would like either. Who knew? I've definitely been surprised (in a very good way) at what I'm actually enjoying. It's nice to step outside your comfort zone once in awhile!

2 comments:

  1. YA books are so addictive! I'm having a hard time getting into non-YA books too but have a ton I need to read and review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...I keep getting drawn to the YA books on my shelf, even though I have tons of other books that I want to read!

    ReplyDelete