Friday, March 27, 2009

Review: City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

City of Bones is the first book in the Mortal Instruments young adult series by Cassandra Clare.

Summary from Barnes and Noble:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.
Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....


This book had been on my shelf for awhile, but I just finally picked it up. And, wow. I should have read it a long time ago! This is something that I never would have read a year ago. I mean...demons? But I couldn't put it down! The plot is interesting, and the characters were very real. Well, as real as a demon hunter can be, I guess. The main characters, Clary and Jace are strong, yet vulnerable and flawed. I really liked how the book started, and I liked all of the history of the Shadowhunters. I never knew what to expect next, and have to say I was certainly surprised with how things turned out...

Random question - is Jace pronounced like JC? In my mind I was saying it to rhyme with "chase" the whole time...

I've already started the next book in the series - City of Ashes. I'll have to pick up book 3 which just came out this week...

**SPOILERS**
Ok...seriously? He's her brother? Even though I suspected something at the beginning, I figured I must be wrong when they kissed, so I put it out of my mind. So yes...I was surprised! I wonder what will happen to Clary's mom...and what Valentine will do now that he has the cup...

Rated: 4.5/5

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you finally read this one. It's a great series and I just picked up the third book today. I think Jace is pronounced like chase. I really hope something happens and Jace turns out not to be Clary's brother. I really want them to end up together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read you review because I just got this book. Cassandra Clare and Lisa McMann (Wake and Fade) did a book signing near me and this one sounded REALLY good. ANd by the way, they were both REALLY NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous you got to meet them! I hope you like this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just finished reading it and I was completely shocked when I found out Chase was her brother. I did not see that coming. I kept thinking it's not true, but when Jace explained that his name was his intials, I thought omgosh its true. Noooo! lol!

    ReplyDelete