Thursday, March 5, 2009

Review: Deadly Little Secret - Laurie Faria Stolarz

This was a really quick read - and I enjoyed it quite a bit. After reading it I read some other reviews that pointed out some Twilight similarities...and when I thought about it, I guess there were several. But I never really noticed them when reading. The main thing - there are no vampires. So...that's different! But, some other details are similar. I don't think it took away anything from this, or made me not like it though (since I really didn't notice at the time!!).

Here's a synopsis from Barnes and Noble:
Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben.and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help-but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.

I have to admit, that I got a little creeped out at home by myself finishing this one. Also, I suspected EVERYONE to be the 'bad guy' at some point in the book. I wanted to trust Ben, but wasn't sure if I could...

This is the first book in the series, but I haven't heard much more about additional books, so I don't know when to expect the next one.

**SPOILERS**
I was glad that Ben didn't turn out to be the bad guy, but sad that he is leaving. Not sure what will happen to Matt. And even though Spencer turned out to be an ok guy, he seemed kind of creepy the whole time... Interested to see what happens next.

Rated: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment