Saturday, January 10, 2009

Review: Body Surfing by Anita Shreve


I've read most of Anita Shreve's books, and I almost always enjoy them.

This book is about Sydney, a 29 year old woman who has been married twice - one marriage ended in a divorce, and one left her a widow. She's unsure where her life is going, and takes a job as a live-in tutor for a family living on the ocean in New Hampshire. She tutors an 18 year old girl, and helps out around the house. Eventually the family's two other children, grown men, come to visit, and she is caught up in their constant competition as they both attempt to get to know her better.

The book is written in short bursts - short paragraphs, and often not much dialogue. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but it worked, and I ended up enjoying the style.

**SPOILERS**
I was surprised with the twist about Julie, the 18 year old student. I was also surprised with how quickly Sydney fell for Jeff, although it made more sense later on.

I wasn't aware until I finished the book that the story is set in the same house as several of her other stories (all in different time periods). Although once I realized it, it seemed really obvious.

Overall, a pretty good read.

Rated: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment