Saturday, January 3, 2009

Review: The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger

My first book of 2009! This had been on my shelf for about a year. I'd wanted to see the movie when it came out, but never got around to it.

I liked the book right away. It was very descriptive, funny, and gossipy. Anyone that knows me knows that I know nothing about fashion, so I definitely identified with the main character, Andrea. Fresh out of college, and looking for a career in writing, she ends up landing in a job as a personal assistant for a fashion editor at a major fashion magazine, and not quite knowing how it happened. It turns out to be a nightmare, with an insane boss (Miranda), ridiculous hours, and basically no life outside of work. Her basic job description is 'slave' - doing whatever Miranda says. She doesn't fit in, with her Gap clothing (what, Gap isn't high fashion?? That's the most fashionable I've ever been!), and the fact that she doesn't think her boss is the amazing woman that everyone else seems to think she is. The stories of things she is expected to do made me laugh (having 2 copies of the new Harry Potter book flown on a private jet to Paris for Miranda's daughters a day before they were supposed to be released, being just one!), and I wondered how long I would have been able to handle the same situations. The relationships that she has were typical 'just out of college' relationships - parents, boyfriend, best friend - easy to relate to.

Even though I wasn't sure WHY she stayed with the job, I found myself rooting for her, and hoping that it would somehow all work out for her.

I'll be adding the movie to my Netflix list. I've heard it's pretty good, and I enjoy both Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep.

**SPOILERS**
I have to say, I was happy that the story didn't end with Miranda turning out to be a good person, or changing her personality. I really would have hated that. I was also happy that Andrea FINALLY quit! And in such a great way! I loved the ending. I'm not sure the book needed to be as long as it was (about 430 pages), but it did hold my interest, and I was happy with how things turned out (although would be interested to see if she ever ran into Christian again... )

Overall, a good book!

Rated: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment