Thursday, January 15, 2009

Time

People always ask me how I have time to read so much. They also say they'd read more if they just had the time. I know that people are busy, but I think if you really want to read, you'll be able to find time to do it, just like anything else you like to do!

I get a lot of reading done at work. I almost always read on my two 15 minute breaks, and on my lunch hour. That time really adds up. I like to read before I go to bed, even if just for 10 or 15 minutes. And I slip it in other times, like when my daughter is entertaining herself, or after she goes to bed (I try really hard to get things done around the house during that time too, but sometimes the call of a good book is too much to ignore!). I also must say that I'm a fast reader, so I can get through a book pretty quickly, which helps!

I think everyone has the time to read, they just choose to do other things instead. A lot of people watch TV. Read during the commercials! Or TiVo your show, watch it later without the commercials, and use that extra time to read! If you commute to work, read on the bus/subway/streetcar/ferry/train (does that cover everything?). Bring a book to appointments - you can get a lot of reading done while waiting to get in to see the dentist or doctor! If you go on a trip, bring a book along. You might find extra time while traveling, or once you're at your destination.

I often find myself hurrying to get household chores done so I can get back to my book. It's a good way to get things done quickly I guess!!

I know some people just aren't 'readers' - and I need to learn to accept it! When I'm in the middle of a great book, I just can't fathom how people CAN'T like to read. But, I've always loved reading, so it's a mystery to me. I am hopeful that my daughter will be a book lover too! She already has a collection to rival any other 8 month old out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment